Pregancy –Increasing the chances of getting pregnant
What makes a successful pregnancy?
Pregnancy is a complex process, contributed by quite a number of factors, listed as below:
Criteria for successful pregnancy:
- Regular ovulation
- Normal sperms with normal motility
- Normal fallopian tube
- Suitable site for embryo implantation
In each menstrual cycle, the chance of getting pregnant is about 25%.
Increasing the chances of getting pregnant
- Modification of lifestyle
- Quit smoking
- Prevent drug use
- Avoid alcohol intake
- Maintain a normal body weight
- Consult physician for chronic illness e.g. DM, thyroid disease
- Increase folic acid intake
- Check immunity to rubella (vaccination if necessary)
- Have regular sexual intercourse: couples should be reminded that there is no optimal frequency of sexual intercourse, couples should work out a feasible schedule among themselves.
- Timed intercourse
- Observe vulvar mucus: Vulvar mucus would become clear and slippery during fertile period. By observing mucus condition, women can estimate ovulation period, to increase the chance of conception.
- Monitor ovulation of menstrual cycle: Ovulation occurs on Day 14 in menstrual cycle. (Day 0 = first day of menstrual period) Conception is most possible if couples have sexual intercourse within the week of ovulation.
- Tubal problems
- Surgery: For restoring normal anatomy of the fallopian tubes
- Laparoscopic adhesiolysis for endometriosis: Laparoscopic surgery can be performed to treat endometriosis to increase the chance of pregnancy.
- Reversal of sterilization: for patients with tubal ligation and vasectomy performed, reversal surgery can be done to allow pregnancy to occur.
- Avoid lubricant during sexual intercourse: Some lubricant would inhibit sperm motility.